This post contains affiliate links. Thanks for keeping my creativity afloat.
It’s week two of the One Room Challenge, and we are moving right along on our dark and moody master bedroom transformation. If you missed my inspiration for this room (along with the before photos) you can find it here! We have a big, blank wall behind our bed and I knew it needed a little extra something. I landed on the idea of DIY board and batten.
My husband and his dad brought this idea to life. I can’t say I contributed much beyond choosing the pattern! We outlined what we wanted the pattern to look like on grid paper and purchased 1×3’s to use for the trim.
Andrew’s dad made all the cuts. We started by outlining the entire wall in trim. I decided I wanted to leave the actual white trim on the bottom of the wall, so we ran a piece of 1X3 on top of the white trim. Next, they installed the horizontal boards and then the vertical boards using screws which we covered with wood plugs.
Porter (the German Shepherd) was a great help throughout the process. When everything was finished, we caulked the seems and wood plugs + the cracks between the trim and the walls and ceiling. I am NOT good at caulking. This turned out like crap and now I will have to fix it.
After it dried, I gave it a light sand and painted it with two coats of Tricorn Black paint by Sherwin Williams. You can still see all the messy caulk and the wood grain on the trim. My plan is to use a light grid sandpaper and my circular sander to get it all smooth again.
Once I finish sanding, I’ll clean it and add two more coats of paint. Looking back, I should have sanded more and primed before painting. Let me be a lesson of what NOT to do 🙂 Another option would be to buy primed 1x3s instead of the cheap pine we bought.
More Blog Posts You Might Enjoy:
- A Pro’s Guide to Refinishing your Hardwood Floors
- From Weird TV Room to Guest Bedroom: This Room Got a Major Makeover
- Living Room Reveal with Revival Rugs
- Baby Schroeder’s Nursery Reveal
- An Affordable and Functional Master Closet
Meanwhile, I ordered some antique gold Rub & Buff from Hobby Lobby to try and change the finish of my Amazon curtain rods. They are WAY too gold when I wanted brass. Fingers crossed this does the trick because I can list at least 10 other things I would like to turn brass!
This coming week is going to be ALL about ordering what we need to finish this room including a rug, some more bedding and furniture. We are super serious about our budget these days and there is money set aside for furniture this week. YAY! Let’s hope it all comes in on time for the big reveal.